Campaign successfully funded on: 10 Dec,2015
WHAT: The National Suicide Prevention Helpline will be a specialized telephone service that aims at providing support for callers and referral to specialists (such as psychiatrists or psychologists) if further help is needed. It will provide immediate emotional support, risk assessment, crisis intervention, linkages to local services, and follow-up for persons with potential suicide risk.
WHY: Suicide is a serious public health problem that affects us all. It is tragic and more common than people assume. Above all, suicide is preventable. And with your help, we bring a voice to many and empower them to change their destiny.
WHAT WE NEED: Over the past year, Embrace has completed the first phase of its Suicide Prevention Helpline action plan. This included carrying out research to identify the prevalence of suicide in Lebanon, people's attitudes and knowledge about mental illness in Lebanon and commissioning research to determine the acceptability of the helpline by the Lebanese. We also met with telecommunication companies, non-governmental organizations and other key informants. Our work has produced a preliminary proposal and budget for the helpline which needs to be actualized in phase 2.
Now, Embrace is raising $20,000 to implement phase 2 of the action plan. This phase is crucial for the success and sustainability of the helpline because it will include the detailed planning and development of the helpline. This will ensure that when we reach phase 3 we will be ready to set up the call center of the helpline with the least obstacles possible. The raised amount will cover mainly the hiring costs of a project team to implement the following steps within 10 months:
1. Designing the business model for the helpline
2. Identifying the human resource needs
3. Contracting with Registered Training Organization
4. Adapting and translating training material to Arabic
5. Developing the Standard Operating Procedures of the helpline
6. Consulting legal team to identify the optimal organizational and legal structure for the helpline and its requirements
7. Detailing a Monitoring and Evaluation plan to be followed throughout the helpline's operation
8. Organizing national conference to discuss the expanded proposal and budget with key stakeholders
9. Setting a fundraising plan to secure funds for the remaining project phases
10. Coordinating with the Ministry of Public Health to finalize the referral and information resources
HELPLINE ACTION PLAN:
WHO WE ARE: Embrace is an awareness support network for mental health in Lebanon and the Middle East affiliated with the Department of Psychiatry at the American University of Beirut Medical Center (AUBMC). One in 4 Lebanese suffers from a mental illness. If left untreated mental illness can result in serious disabilities and even death. Embrace grew out of the need to fight the stigma of mental illness and to help make access to treatment easier.
There are no updates for this project yet.
Embrace is an awareness support network for mental health in Lebanon and the Middle East affiliated with the Department of Psychiatry at the American University of Beirut Medical Center (AUBMC). Our mission is to: 1) Create a better understanding of…Full biography